Thursday, May 14, 2009

Grundig


Where did I find it: ebay
Price: Starting bid $125
Seller: http://myworld.ebay.com/kurystk1/

Manufacturer: Grundig
Year Made circa 1950
Size: 14" Wide x 31" Tall x 54" Deep

Description: This is an old console and tube FM radio made by Grundig. When I bought it there was the sign that it was from 1952. I personally don't find any markings that identify the year, but you can see it's one of those mid-century high end pieces that middle class families wanted.

The FM radio still works. I plugged it in and played around with it. The controls are so smooth and the volume and tuning knobs just glide. One cool thing on this is a small maybe inch long aqua colored light lozenge that goes apart or gets closer as you zero in on a station. Pretty. Apparently at the time there was also some kind of radio signal called BC. Does anyone know what that is? Anyway, it does not pick up anything when you switch to that. Nor does it pick up any Short Wave broadcasts when you switch it to SW--I assume that's what it means. I guess Short Wave is a radio dinosaur now.

The turntable does not work, or at least I couldn't figure it out. And in the section on the far right, I don't know if there was ever anything there or not. Right now it's empty as you see in the picture. But there also is a piece that appears to fit over the hole and has screw holes, so maybe it's just for storage. I don't know.

The finish on this console is pretty. Of course there might be a nick here and there, but by and large this is a pretty 50's furniture item that a family would have cherished at the time.




2 comments:

  1. I have one too! Full of pretty old records as well. My great aunt left it to me....Turntable doesn't work on mine either. Probably needs a belt or something like that. The finish on yours looks a bit more glossy than mine. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PU= Pick Up (Record Changer, Tape Player/AUX)
    BC= Broad Cast band. Eurospeak for AM.
    SW= Short Wave
    FM= Free Music

    This post is old... but I would seriously recommend you NOT continue to use this without having a professional electrical restoration. Around this age, the capacitors and resistors from the 50s begin to fail, causing shorts and potentially severe damage or even fire. Replacing all the capacitors usually only costs around $40 and can seriously improve the quality and life of the radio.

    And to Cold Water- these turntables didn't use belts. They used idler wheels. Your changer probably just needs a thorough cleaning and some oil in the right spots.

    ReplyDelete